Pages

Saturday 9 June 2012

Denim Denim

I'm so in love with you, NOT.


Today I am sharing with you a very personal and embarrassing problem I have. I'm sure that I am the only person who suffers from this problem, as I have never encountered anyone else with it. I am hanging my head in shame just at the thought of what I am about to write, but I have a major problem with Denim.

Denim, was a fabric that originated in the Italian town of Genoa, and was used for sails because it was very sturdy. Because of its durability and resistance to wear, jeans started to be used to make clothing for peasants. My understanding was that the cowboys adopted it as their standard work wear for those same reasons. It just took forever to wear out.


Well, not in my case, my thunder thighs are clearly a match for any fabric. I know there is no daylight anymore between my thighs, those days seem sadly long gone, and I can only watch those who legs do not touch as they walk, with envy.



However, I didn't think my chunky thighs had teeth!! It seems though, that they can chew through even the most durable of fabrics, within a fairly short space of time.

Exhibit, number 1, my pair of Black jeans.


Exhibit number 2, my pair of indigo jeans.


Apologies for the creased state of both exhibits, they were rescued from the washing basket for the photo shoot. Both these pairs of jeans were bought with my Christmas money, early in the new year, yet within 3 months, you can see the devasting effect my thighs have had on the inner tops of the trouser legs. They were not cheap jeans, they were over £30 a pair. I like to have both a black and blue pair in use at any one time, but I cannot afford £60 every 3 months. Easy solution you might say, lose 3 lbs from each leg and they might lose their power, like Samson when he lost his hair. I only wish it were that easy.

What really frustrates me is the fact that the rest of the pair of jeans is in excellent condition, the rump, the knees and everywhere else looks fine. Thankfully I know a lady that can patch them up, and I am determined they will then get some more wear, but it saddens me to think I can never be a Cowgirl!!

I can hear myself saying it, "they just don't make things like they used to", but I'm ashamed to say it may just be me to blame and not the poor garments!!!


Yeehar for now, lots of love Arwedd xx


5 comments:

  1. Yeah, my jeans look like that too! I wear jeggings from Primark, they're cheaper so I don't mind too much when they wear out. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My jeans wear out there too - take heart that its not just you dear lady, they just don't make them like they used to! I also find that I end up with ripped waistbands, I yank them up and they end up tearing - really annoys me

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  3. No it is NOT just you. My jeans go thin there - and my thighs aren't especially large. My daughter's bloke finds that riding his bike puts a particular strain on the jeans in that spot too. I keep having to mend them for him. I have no idea what the solution is - except long jumpers and tunic tops!

    weekend blessings xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless you, it's an expensive game to have to replace them. I think most of us have the same problem st some stage. And weight never goes from where you want it too. If it did i would have a flat tunny and a pert bottom. If only.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man Wonderful doesn't like to see the "gap between the thighs" skinny-minnies, as he thinks they look undernourished. Women should be curvalicious - LOVE YOUR CURVES!!
    You are totally correct when you say that fabrics these days are not as sturdy, and there's a real reason for this - it.makes.us.spend.more.money!
    However as you are now "one-of-us" frugal gals, patching in the inside, turning hems, making do and mending will become second nature, I promise x x x

    (I'm wearing a gorgeous pair of £15 denim leggings from Evans - my tip is to go for a size larger around the waist as they are elasticated, and then they are looser when one sits up on that there saddle! As I NEVER wear a belt or have my actual waist on show, it doesn't matter a jot!)

    Fostermummy X
    ps sewing all done x x x

    ReplyDelete