Pages

Monday 7 January 2013

Clouds in my Coffee

I'm not exactly sure why Carly Simon had clouds in her coffee, but I've made the decision not to have anything in mine and I'm regretting my decision already, and it's only Day Two.

One of the things I am determined to do in 2013 is change to a more healthy eating and drinking regime. Nothing too limiting, I can stand all those cravings again, but it definitely has to be Fat Free at least for a while. I don't have butter on bread, in sandwiches, although I did use it for frying and have now swapped it for a low fat alternative. I have cut out cheese, and I don't use a lot of milk, as I don't have cereals etc. I tend to use it for a chesse sauce, (got to go), and in coffee. Boy, do I like a milky coffee. I'm a real Latte fan, but I have decided to try and drink my coffee black. We do use Semi-skimmed milk, having tried the Skimmed and found it just too watery the boys just can't tolerate it. However, for health reasons I really do want to go dairy free for a bit, and I don't really want to try a different type of milk, as that's just something else to buy and I would have to go through just as much, to try and get used to the taste of that, just for extra expense.

No I'd rather try and get used to it without, but I can't get over how different the coffee tastes without milk.

I do vaguely remember though, when I first started to have my coffee without sugar, more than 20 years ago. I know I stopped because a schoolfriend (Hayley, I wonder whatever happened to her?), was told by her dentist to cut out sugar and I wanted to support her. I also remember it was equally as difficult at first and I had to persevere through several horrible cups until my taste changed. Now putting sugar in it tastes disgusting. I do hope I don't have to suffer too long before my tastebuds change this time, as I do love my coffee. It's not because of the caffiene as I have mine Decaff, my heart objects otherwise, so there must just be something comforting about hugging a mug of coffee, and maybe I can see clouds in it after all.........

Lots of Love Arwedd xx


10 comments:

  1. Good luck!! I'm sitting here drinking my tea without sugar or milk and trying not to feel sorry for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes the body (brain) a little while to adjust to anything new. So, keep at it. How about just putting a bit less milk in your coffee each day until it is completely black?
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am trying this, it's now quite dark but tolerable.

      Delete
  3. I treat black coffee as "different" - its not coffee its different, like tea would be, or hot chocolate, or water...that works for me, might it help for you?

    I don't like it either if that is any consolation - I like strong filter coffee (decaf or caf) with cold ss milk in and no sugar. To me, that is what coffee is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck in the giving up. I need to give up sugar, I don't drink tea/coffee but eat too many sugary things...

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I gave up dairy in the summer I found it really difficult to find an alternative milk for my coffee. Both soya and almond just tasted horrible, so I gave up coffee. I missed it, so started to have it black. I think I was so glad to taste coffee again that I didn't mind not having milk in it. I really enjoy it now. I drink decaff too, for the same reasons as you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I decided a splash of milk in my coffee was OK, because I need the calcium for my bones, and try as I might, I can't seem to adjust to drinking it black. I'm not as self disciplined as Scarlet and co.

    blessings xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I gave up milk in my drinks years ago because the milk at my workplace was often marginal. It takes a while to get used to it, but you will. I wouldn't have my morning coffee any other way now! Hope you make the transition without too much trauma. Sx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too drink black de caff coffee but I always mix it with a splash of cold water before putting the hot in. Seems to mellow it somehow xx

    ReplyDelete