Pages

Tuesday 1 January 2013

Strange Traditions

Our New Years Eve celebration consisted of watching No 1 Son's Christmas DVD "Batman, the Dark Knight Rises" until 01:30 this morning at the Parents-in-Law's house. We did have a very short break to watch the fireworks on the telly, which weren't too shabby.

However, New Years Day sees a very strange tradition I've only ever come across in my DH's family. Its something called the "Snowbear". Every New Year after lunch the "Snowbear" provides a present for everyone in the family which we are handed out and we all open together. Mainly because all the ladies get the same thing and all the men get the same thing. It's not a big pressie, just a little something extra.

Here's the Snowbear with No. 2 Son:-

Not too sure what M's pose was all about, but those trousers are definitely too short for him. Never mind Santa did bring him a new pair, he just hasn't put them on yet!!

I forgot to take a picture of my actual pressie, but it is a little tea-light holder that, when lit, illuminates my name. Instead here's another picture of a decapitated Snowbear.

I'm guessing no-one else has this tradition?

Thankfully we don't have to 'help' Snowbear buy the presents until New Year 2015, so I have time to think of something. It gets harder every time to find something that will actually be useful for around a fiver!!

What strange traditions do you have?

Lots of Love Arwedd xx

4 comments:

  1. Is that a fiver each person? How many people need buying for? I'm just thinking that if you decide now what to get, you can start putting things away little by little to avoid a huge bill. FMx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, £5 or less each and there's 12 of us.

      6 ladies, 1 in her 90s, 1 in her 60s, 2 40yr old ish and 2 in their 20s. Plus 6 'men', 1 in his 60s, 2 in their 40s, 1 in his 20s, 1 15/16 yr old and 1 9/10 yr old.

      Any ideas gratefully received. The older men seem to like little multi-tools but even they seem expensive these days and there is surely a limit on how many are useful?

      Love Arwedd xx

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of that tradition. It seems an awfully great expense especially after Christmas. I think I'd go for scarves and socks.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh! We had a snowman! I'd forgotten about it! My Grandpa used to send us a snowman. It was smaller than yours. Inside would be lots of random little presents and sweets. We'd all get one. Lucky Dip style. It was fabulous. Then the snowman would return to Grandpa's house, ready to be filled for the next year. They were all fun, silly presents tho, costing maybe £1 each. But as children we loved it, and as adults, we still loved it. Grandpa passed away a few years ago, but I think I will resurrect the tradition :D Thanks for the reminder!!

    ReplyDelete